PADDLE THE GATE KAYAK TOUR
Kayaking in San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge
DESTINATION / LOCATION
Golden Gate Bridge
May 15, June 13, July 27, August 28, Sept. 11, Oct. 10, Nov. 10
- Take a kayak under the iconic Golden Gate Bridge
- See the natural beauty along the Marin Headlands
- Receive a thorough kayaking orientation from our guides
- An exciting 3-hour trip under an American landmark
SEE THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE—FROM BELOW!
We start from Horseshoe Cove. Because this trip can deal with some strong currents flowing through the bay, we give you a thorough orientation to build your confidence and ensure you can take care of yourself in a kayak. If you have passed our Advanced Paddle Class, you can choose to paddle in a single kayak. Everyone else must use a 2-person kayak. (Please note due to Covid-19 health guidelines we cannot accommodate single sign ups as using doubles requires covid compatibility.) We paddle along the coast, close to shore, and away from shipping lanes as we kayak underneath the Golden Gate Bridge and along the Marin Headlands before returning to Horseshoe Cove.
This trip takes about 3 hours, and does not require any experience kayaking. We leave in the morning, though the exact time will depend on the tides that day. Check available dates through our website, or call (415) 332-8494 for a reservation.
Meet Place: Fort Baker, Sausalito. Important: Study the directions!
COMING FROM THE NORTH OR SOUTH ON HWY 101:
- If you’re coming from SF and South: Take the first exit (Alexander Exit) after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Proceed downhill for about 50-100 yards and take a left following the sign Fort Baker & Bay Area Discovery Museum. If you’re coming from the North: Take the last exit, Sausalito Exit just before the Golden Gate Bridge. Bear right following the Sausalito and Bay Area Discovery Museum signs. Drive under the freeway to the stop sign. Continue downhill. Take your first left at the Fort Baker & Bay Area Discovery Museum sign.
- 100 yards later take a right following the 2nd Fort Baker & Bay Area Discovery Museum sign. (Note: do not enter the Ft. Cronkite Tunnel.) Continue downhill to stop sign. Go right following Bay Area Discovery sign. At the next stop sign go left on Center Road/East Road towards Bay Area Discovery Museum. Look for New Breitung Road and take a right to the end and continue past Battery Yates sign. Road will drop down onto Marina Road (next to Travis Marina Bar) and look for the Sea Trek truck (white Ford F-150) and trailer and/or Sea Trek staff and kayaks on the beach below. (You will now be on the east side of Horseshoe Bay near the sailboats just in front of the big Presidio Yacht Club/ Travis Marina Bar building). Mileage from freeway: approx. 1.6 miles.
From Downtown Sausalito
- Follow Bridgeway south out of town. Brideway turns into Second Street (pass the Golden Gate Market) and then Second Street turns into Alexander Avenue. Follow Alexander Avenue uphill for a short while then take a right at the Fort Baker sign and onto East Road. Follow this road for approximately one mile and you’ll come to the Bay Area Discovery Museum. Look for New Breitung Road and take a left to the end and continue past Battery Yates sign. Road will drop down onto Marina Road (next to Travis Marina Bar) and look for the Sea Trek truck (white Ford F-150) and trailer and/or Sea Trek staff and kayaks on the beach below. (You will now be on the east side of Horseshoe Bay near the sailboats just in front of the big Presidio Yacht Club/ Travis Marina Bar building).
“We had a Fun, entry level tour of the Sausalito harbor lasting an hour or so. Mitch was our lead guide and Katie Ann was our rear guide. They were both incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. My daughter was not thrilled because the middle seat between mom and dad (who are probably too tall for a 3 man sit on top kayak) was swamped with three inches of cold sea water. Katie Ann jumped all over it and repositioned her seat immediately so she was comfy and appropriately dry. Mitch has 25+ years kayaking the harbor so he knows all the history and shares cool stories willingly. The whole experience was perfect.”Michael DDana Point, California
“Booked the 3 hour tour for myself and my 12 year old. We kayak regularly but in smaller individual kayaks so it was a fun challenge for us to paddle together! We were concerned with getting wet as we had a Muirwoods tour to do afterwards but they have a great system for getting in and out of the kayaks as well as the skirts that cover the opening so we totally stayed dry. We were part of a small group that went out with Mitch and Victoria, both were really great at keeping us all together and Mitch was very informative on the tour (both with kayaking tips and with his knowledge of area highlights). This was our favourite activity during our trip to SF, being out on the water on a beautiful day- nothing can top that off! Great views from the bay, including seeing the houseboats up close. The best part was that we were fortunate to have some seals pop their heads up out of the water to look at us! They were really beautiful to see so close to us. Put this on your list of activities if you visit, it's worth it!”Marian MToronto
“Really wonderful. Great guides with terrific personalities. We really lucked out with the weather and were able to have calm waters, no wind, lets of seals or sea lions, cruising along the Sausalito waterfront checking out the huge yachts and colorful, some very sophisticated, house boats.Making a big circle and then heading towards the full moon was really spectacular..The sky was filled with so many beautiful colors. I would do it again in a minute..”msmoefmrMill Valley, California
“We like to come and paddle for an hour or so. Today we went south towards the bridge and planned to get bar bocce for lunch..but we ended up next door at a new spot which we really enjoyed..seals and birds , beautiful boats and a nice way to coolDr. MaderOrinda, California
Off on a very hot Labor Day weekend. New spot near bay model was easy to launch and come back..easy w help of the staff and check in was painless and quick . We have been coming here for many years and we always have a great time. They make it easy and fun to get out and enjoy the bay and the ocean without having to store and schlep your own equipment. Thank you”
“We went on a three hour tour of the Sausalito coastline area, including the house boat section and all the way out past Spinnaker's restaurant for a fabulous view of San Francisco, Tiburon, Belvedere, and Angel Island. Our guide Adam not only knew about the wildlife and their habitats in the area, but he enlightened us with stories of famous people and how they were part of Sausalito's history. He was professional and made the trip so much more interesting.”Carol C
“We booked this trip with 2 other couples and we were lucky enough to get Bob as our guide. We hit the water after a thorough lesson in kayaking and safety. Wind and weather were perfect and we were able to kayak through the houseboat community and hear stories from Bob regarding all the history and characters living there. Seals were a plenty and many popped up just to say hi. We've done this tour before and it is one of my all time favourite things to do here in Marin. We are so truly lucky to live in such a diverse and beautiful place & being on the water is so incredible!”Cathy W.Mill Valley, California
“Sea Trek is such a great place to go and get out on the bay without having to do anything but walk up, sign up and pay. They have everything you need to go kayaking or Paddle boarding. They have all the gear right there and nothing is an extra charge, which I really like. The people that work there are very helpful and patient, so don't be afraid to give it a try even if you're new to the sport.
We couldn’t have asked for more knowledgeable, accommodating and entertaining guides and staff. With prime attention to safety and comfort, this supported expedition was appropriate for our group of paddlers whose kayaking skills ranged from novice to expert. The food was outstanding – with local fish periodically caught in the afternoon and served fresh for dinner.
We would highly recommend this Sea Trek supported kayaking expedition for anyone considering exploring the Sea of Cortez and the coast of Baja Sur California, Mexico by kayak.”epaizeSan Francisco, California
“We went for the Scenic Sausalito tour, reserving online the day before. We appreciated signing the waiver online before arrival, which saved time on check in. They had clean and dry equipment (wetsuits etc) for the 10 am start, and entry was smooth into the kayak, with clear instruction and paddling guidance. Would recommend to others. If planning to kayak, wear layers you would be comfortable having under wetsuits to keep warm!”daravidahelsinki