PADDLE THE GATE KAYAK TOUR
Kayaking in San Francisco under the Golden Gate Bridge
Level 1: No experience necessary (must be physically active)
Golden Gate Bridge
$125 for Sea Trek Members
$135 for non-members
- Take a kayak under the iconic Golden Gate Bridge
- See the natural beauty along the Marin Headlands
- Receive a thorough kayaking orientation from our guides
- An exciting 3-hour trip under an American landmark
SEE THE GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE—FROM BELOW!
We start from Horseshoe Cove. Because this trip can deal with some strong currents flowing through the bay, we give you a thorough orientation to build your confidence and ensure you can take care of yourself in a kayak. If you have passed our Advanced Paddle Class, you can choose to paddle in a single kayak. Everyone else must use a 2-person kayak. (Please note due to COVID-19 health guidelines we cannot accommodate single sign ups as using doubles requires COVID compatibility.) We paddle along the coast, close to shore, and away from shipping lanes as we kayak underneath the Golden Gate Bridge and along the Marin Headlands before returning to Horseshoe Cove.
This trip takes about 3 hours, and does not require specific kayaking experience but you must be physically active. We leave in the morning, though the exact time will depend on the tides that day. Check available dates through our website, or call (415) 332-8494 for a reservation.
Meet Place: Fort Baker, Sausalito. Important: Study the directions!
COMING FROM THE NORTH OR SOUTH ON HWY 101:
- If you’re coming from SF and South: Take the first exit (Alexander Exit) after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Proceed downhill for about 50-100 yards and take a left following the sign Fort Baker & Bay Area Discovery Museum. If you’re coming from the North: Take the last exit, Sausalito Exit just before the Golden Gate Bridge. Bear right following the Sausalito and Bay Area Discovery Museum signs. Drive under the freeway to the stop sign. Continue downhill. Take your first left at the Fort Baker & Bay Area Discovery Museum sign.
- 100 yards later take a right following the 2nd Fort Baker & Bay Area Discovery Museum sign. (Note: do not enter the Ft. Cronkite Tunnel.) Continue downhill to stop sign. Go right following Bay Area Discovery sign. At the next stop sign go left on Center Road/East Road towards Bay Area Discovery Museum. Look for New Breitung Road and take a right to the end and continue past Battery Yates sign. Road will drop down onto Marina Road (next to Travis Marina Bar) and look for the Sea Trek truck (white Ford F-150) and trailer and/or Sea Trek staff and kayaks on the beach below. (You will now be on the east side of Horseshoe Bay near the sailboats just in front of the big Presidio Yacht Club/ Travis Marina Bar building). Mileage from freeway: approx. 1.6 miles.
From Downtown Sausalito
- Follow Bridgeway south out of town. Brideway turns into Second Street (pass the Golden Gate Market) and then Second Street turns into Alexander Avenue. Follow Alexander Avenue uphill for a short while then take a right at the Fort Baker sign and onto East Road. Follow this road for approximately one mile and you’ll come to the Bay Area Discovery Museum. Look for New Breitung Road and take a left to the end and continue past Battery Yates sign. Road will drop down onto Marina Road (next to Travis Marina Bar) and look for the Sea Trek truck (white Ford F-150) and trailer and/or Sea Trek staff and kayaks on the beach below. (You will now be on the east side of Horseshoe Bay near the sailboats just in front of the big Presidio Yacht Club/ Travis Marina Bar building).
READ SOME OF OUR REVIEWS
Great experience! Staff were friendly, and we had a smooth, fun time kayaking. We especially liked kayaking around the house boats, which were cook to see. They recommend making reservations in advance, which was easy to do online.
Went here for me recent birthday! Try to go when it’s not windy! The first half was call. We went to the houseboats and to see the cute seals! Coming back, it got a little windy but it was definitely a great workout! We are in shape and used to rowing so it wasn’t a big deal, just ask or look up weather conditions before reserving a time.
- Google Reviews
My husband and I went out for a guided tour of the bay with Kenny this morning. It ended up just being the 3 of us which was really nice. I love that Sea Trek provided full body wind breakers which helped so much with keeping warm and dry. The highlight of the tour was definitely all the seals. They were so freaking cute and they were all over the pay popping their little heads out! Kenny shared lots of history with us regarding the boats in the bay, the animals, and the houseboat community. It was a really fun tour and it was not physically hard at all.
- Google Reviews
Such an amazing experience!! Thank you to my two wonderful friends who showed me this place. Thank you to the staff for being helpful and giving us tip how to get on board on a kayak and what we can and can not do. If you are in the area, I recommend going to them! Can’t wait to see you guys soon!
- Google Reviews
What a great place ! I took a SUP lesson and it was so fun and helpful . They are so friendly and organized . Very therapeutic to get out on the water .
- Google Reviews
Fantastic company to rent from and great day kayaking! I have rented several times from Seatrek and every time has been so easy and hassle free. Today I took my dog for the first time and everyone was wonderful and helpful making it a perfect day on the water for us. If you are looking for a great single, couple, or group/family outing I highly recommend renting from seatrek.
Friendly hepful staff. Excellent paddling equipment! Beautiful / scenic location with lots of wildlife to observe. Very relaxing escape from the hustle, bustle and stress of an urban environment.
Becoming a member of SeaTrek has changed our lives. It’s given us a safe and easy way to be out on the water and for our three and five year old boys to explore, learn about marine wild life and have a sense of adventure. The people who work at SeaTrek are all incredibly warm and knowledgeable and have made our whole family feel welcome. During the pandemic this has been a lifeline for us. I can’t recommend SeaTrek or being on Richardson Bay enough.
- Google Reviews
Repeat customer here. Book online ahead of time, and it’s a breeze to check in and get out in the water. We have used single and double kayaks (not the traditional kind) with adults and tweens / teens.
If you’re staying in Sausalito or are looking for a great spot to get on the water during your stay in San Francisco this is a great spot! You’re able to complete the waiver on line ahead of time (or as a group we were able to) and the safety speech was quick but thorough! We saw seals and a variety of birds and enjoyed being able to explore on our own. You’re able to choose between kayaking and stand up paddle boards and the equipment is in good shape.
Loved kayaking in Sausalito. Saw a bunch of cute seals and birds. Water can get choppy when it’s windy. Easy to board and get off the kayak. They had a small life jacket for our dog as well!